Goodies from Puerto Rico!
My step-mom went to Puerto Rico for a few weeks and came back yesterday. This is a list of some of the amazing things she got me!
- Chancletas (Sandals)- If you are Puerto Rican, you have to have the sandals that say Puerto Rico on the side
- Pan Sobao (sweet bread)- It’s like a regular loaf of bread but instead of a bland taste it’s sweet and goes great with coffee
- Mata Hambre (sweet bread rolls)- It’s almost like a potato bread but it has a sweet red filling and it tastes amazing. “Mata Hambre” translates to “hunger killer” because just one roll will fill you up.
- Morcilla (blood sausage)- It tastes amazing, enough said.
- Longaniza de pollo (spicy chicken sausage)- I love to cook it in my rice.
- Longaniza de cerdo (spicy pork sausage)- See above.
- Empanadilla de pizza (Pizza Empanadas)- Empanadas? Pizza? Need I say more?
- Taquitos de juelle (Crab Taco)- It’s not really a taco, it looks more like an empanada but it has crab! YUMMY!!
- Mantecadito (Cookie)- It’s a sweet cookie that goes great with chocolate milk!
- Crema de coco (Coconut Cream)- We’re an island! Of course we have coconut! Then they turn the cream into a candy and BAM! DIABETES! But it tastes great.
- Ajonjoli (Seasame sead candy)- It’s sesame cube that’s sweet, I used to say it looked like bird food.
I already wore my sandals and I ate el pan sobao. I can’t wait to eat the rest!
I miss my home. Mi tierra bella.